Consent Order In Divorce

Welcome to Osbourne Pinner, the old city law firm.  We have an excellent reputation for our fixed fee pricing structure and high success rate. Please see a list of our affordable family services below.

Our Expertise

  • Consent Order in Divorce
  • Financial Settlement
  • Property and Divorce
  • Child Custody
  • Pre & Post-nuptial Agreements
  • Civil Partnership
  • Abusive Relationship
  • Divorce Loans

45-Minutes Free Consultation

If you want to find out more about how our specialists solicitors can help you, please don’t hesitate to get in touch. Whether it’s by phone, video call or in person, our specialist solicitors can guide you through the process and answer any questions you may have.

Arrange a free, no obligation consultation today by calling us on 0203 980 9348 or use our contact form to request a call back.

Request Free Call Back

Why Osbourne Pinner?

We are one of the reputed law firm based in Central London specialising in divorce cases. Here are few reasons why we are considered the best option when it comes to choosing the right lawyer for a divorce case.

  • 15+ Years Experience
  • Central London Location
  • 98% Success Rate
  • Regulated by Solicitor Regulation Authority
  • Free 45-Minute Consultation
  • Affordable & Transparent Fixed Fees
  • Expert in Financial Settlement
  • Top Divorce Solicitors in London

Divorcing Couple & Consent Order

‘Consent orders’ are legally ratified agreements made between a divorcing couple setting out how their money, property and other assets will be divided once their marriage officially ends. They commonly also include such important family financial matters as spousal maintenance and child support.

Consent Order In Divorce - What You Need to Know

They are so called because that the couple have ‘consented’ to the division by reaching the agreement – and a family court Judge has then turned this agreement into a binding legal order. This means that if either party fails to meet their responsibilities under the order, such as paying maintenance on time, the courts can intervene.

You can apply for a consent order at the penultimate decree nisi stage of your divorce proceedings, and it will then become legally binding at the final decree absolute stage. Only if the couple cannot reach such an agreement between themselves will the case go on to an actual hearing in court.

If you and your ex are on a relatively good terms following your split, and are able to freely reach an agreement without legal help, it is not necessary to apply for a court order. But if that agreement later breaks down, you will not be able to ask the courts to enforce it.

You can usually avoid going to court hearings if you agree how to split your money and property. If you and your spouse are in total agreement as to the financial arrangements you will still need the court to make the agreement official and binding by making what is called a consent order.

  1. A Consent Order is a legally binding financial agreement. Parties needs to make sure that this consent order needs to be drafted by a Solicitor.
  2. This consent order needs to be signed by you and your ex-spouse after you have taken legal advice and both of you need to provide a full disclosure of your assets, property and other finances.
  3. This consent needs to be reviewed and approved by a judge in a family court.

You can usually avoid going to court hearings if you agree how to split your money and property. If you and your spouse are in total agreement as to the financial arrangements you will still need the court to make the agreement official and binding by making what is called a consent order.

Consent Order generally describes what is to happen to each of the main assets (property, savings, shares, businesses and pensions). It sometimes also covers child and spousal maintenance (where applicable). Pension sharing agreements are a common clause in a Consent Order (where applicable).

Couples can use a clean break only if you both wish to prevent any claims in the future and both of you do not have any assets and simply want to dismiss any future financial claims, or you have already divided your assets between you on an amicable basis. You may wish to consider a clean break order even if you do not have any assets at the present time.

If you both are still dividing marital assets, such as a house, pension or savings as part of the divorce process then you can use standard or detailed consent order. By filing the order at court you set out the agreement that you have reached formally. It can also prevents any claims in the future.

Our company’s fixed fee will mainly include:

  1. Our family Solicitor will set up an Initial meeting to confirm the terms of the agreement.
  2. We will then Draft Consent Order on the basis of that agreement.
  3. Preparation of financial disclosure in form of Statement of Information.
  4. Once the Consent Order is ready then we will confirm and explain the terms of the agreement to you in writing.
  5. Negotiating the wording of the Order with your spouse or their lawyer.
  6. Notifying any relevant third parties such as mortgagee or pension provider.
  7. Exchanging Statements of Information with your spouse.
  8. Once the Consent order is ready then we will lodge both documents at Court and our family solicitor will be dealing with any questions raised by the Court prior to approval.

We are happy to arrange a free initial consultation to take place either in the office, by telephone or by video (i.e. Skype, FaceTime or Whatapp video). If your consultation is going to take place via telephone or video, we will ask you to send us your photo ID before the meeting.

For a free confidential discussion about your Consent Order with a Senior Family Solicitor, please call us on 0203 980 9348 or fill in the form for a call back.

Request A Call Back

Please complete all fields

Latest Blog Posts

Surrogacy in the UK

Surrogacy is where a child is carried through pregnancy by a woman who has entered into an arrangement with the intention that, at birth, the

Read More »



Leave a review

Leave an honest review below and we will add it to your website

Ask a Question

Ask your question below and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible. Your question may feature on our FAQ section.