Tier 2 Sportsperson

Free Initial Consultation
25+ Years of Experience
No Hidden Charges
Affordable Transparent Pricing
  • Text Hover
Tier 2

Sportsperson Visa Applications

The UK welcomes many talented and emerging athletes and sportsperson who come to work in the UK with a sports organisation. The Tier 2 Sportsperson visa is granted to individuals who are endorsed by their sport’s respective governing body and have a Certificate of Sponsorship from a recognised sports organisation. The Certificate of Sponsorship for a Tier 2 visa can only be issued by an organisation with a valid Tier 2 Sponsor Licence. The visa allows sportsperson to stay in the UK up to 3 years, with the option to make it 6 years with extensions.


For a confidential discussion about your matter, please leave your details and we’ll get back to you shortly.


    Our Top Immigration Solicitors Help You

    Osbourne Pinner is one of the most distinguished teams of solicitors in London. With an exceptionally high success rate, we are considered amongst the best UK lawyers for immigration cases.

    Our highly immigration experienced solicitors have the expertise to deliver solid results and provide exceptional legal consultation to all our clients. We believe in utmost transparency and confidentiality, which is why to strive for transparent communication without using complicated legal jargon. Crucially, we take pride in our ability to win cases and protect the rights of our clients.

    Our law firm is a member of an exclusive group of companies that provide professional services to wealthy individuals. We can provide referrals and introductions to companies that advice on tax, property, investment and all business-related matters. Our immigration lawyers can handle every element of your visa, your visa extension and everything related to setting up in the U.K.

    Tier 2

    Sportsperson Visa - What You Need to Know

    Apart from an endorsement from the sports body and a Certificate of Sponsorship, Tier 2 Sportsperson visa applicants are required to demonstrate a minimum of £945 as maintenance funds. It is necessary to have had this amount consistently for the past 3 months or more. Although, there are certain exceptions to the funding requirement. Your Tier 2 visa sponsor can also guarantee your maintenance with the Home Office only if they are ‘A Rated’.

    Sport plays a very important part in the UK and our specialist immigration consultants are available to advise and assist you with the Immigration rules and legislation. We work with sports clubs and sports individuals.

    Sports people and coaches can come to the UK under Tier 2, Tier 5 category and the Sports Visitor Visa to take part in specific sporting events here in the UK. Sporting sector Tier 5 category will allow to enter the UK for short term contracts for a maxim period of 12 months.

    Tier 2 (Sportsperson) category will allow you to stay in the UK for up to 3 years with a possibility of extending for a further 3 years. Although Tier 2 (Sportsperson) sounds more attractive in respect of a possibility of settlement in the UK, you will have to satisfy an additional requirement of the English language skills. It is possible to switch from Tier 5 into Tier 2 within the UK, subject to meeting certain requirements.

    You must be internationally established at the highest level in your sport and make a significant contribution to the development and operation of that sport in the UK. Your sponsor will need to issue you a Certificate of Sponsorship and obtain an endorsement for you from the appropriate governing body for your sport. You may benefit from the multiple entry Certificate of Sponsorship if you are based overseas and are required to enter the UK on a regular basis.

    As part of your application you will need to show that you have at least £945 of personal savings or that your sponsor club will maintain and accommodate you for a month. You may want to check the potential cost of living in the UK, especially if you will not get any income from your work in the UK after the first month. You will not be entitled to welfare benefits.

    You can undertake supplementary work in the UK. However, it must be a job on the shortage occupation list or a job in the same sector and at the same level as the work for which the Certificate of Sponsorship was given. You cannot work for more than 20 hours per week. You can also work as a temporary sports broadcaster.

    Sports Visitor Visa category is for sportspeople and their technical and support staff who need to come to the UK to participate in a sporting event. You will be able to stay in the UK up to the maximum period of 6 months and you will have to show that you have enough money to support yourself during your stay.

    Our sports immigration consultant will put together your sports visa application suitable to your needs.

    • Text Hover

    Licences for Sports Clubs

    The sports clubs will need to obtain a Sponsor Licence from the Home Office to employ sportspeople from around the world. Once they have obtained a Sponsor Licence, the sponsoring club will issue the Certificate of Sponsorship to the applicant.

    We can advise about the process for obtaining a sponsor licence and the requirements which must be met before the Home Office will issue a licence. We can also advise and assist with extension of the existing sponsor licence.


    use Osbourne Pinner for your immigration matter?

    • At Osbourne Pinner, we provide unsurpassed immigration services in an exceptionally professional and efficient manner.

    • Many applicants face difficulties in understanding the application process or providing the required documentation.

    • Our team can provide you with all the support and guidance you need to successfully acquire with your immigration matter. With our experienced solicitors, who believe in generating positive results for our clients, you have a better chance of a successful application.

    • Text Hover
    Subscribe to Our Newsletter


    Top Solicitors in the Heart of London

    Call Now Button
    Translate »