Student Visa

Free Initial Consultation
25+ Years of Experience
No Hidden Charges
Affordable Transparent Pricing

Student Visa Application

If you’re looking to apply for a Student Visa in the UK, you need to know what the process is and how you should approach the application. With that in mind, we have a team of experts ready to assist you with your application and we’ve pulled together a guide that outlines the relevant information you need at the various stages of the application process?

  • Text Hover


For a confidential discussion about your matter, please leave your details and we’ll get back to you shortly.

    • Text Hover

    what is a Student Visa?

    Student Visas are the type of visa needed for students who are looking to study in the UK. we have worked with countless students on their Student Visa applications and our specialist teams are ready to help you navigate through the application process so you can start (or continue) your studies in the UK

    Whether it’s help understanding and meeting the requirements for the Student visa, help to navigate the application process or you need help coping with the complexities of refusals, appeals, and reviews, our team of immigration law experts are here to give you the support you need to see a successful application.


    stage of your Visa application are you at?

    Looking to enter the UK on a Student Visa?

    Student visas are designed for students that want to come to the UK whilst they are on a course and studying here. There are however several requirements that need to be met to ensure a successful application as the UK operates a points-based system.

    In the UK’s points-based system you need to meet any combination of the following criteria that adds up to 40 points in total.

    • Text Hover
    Tier 4

    Student Visa Points Criteria

    You have been offered a place on an eligible course within the UK and possess a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) letter (Also known as Sponsorship).

    You must have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course whilst you are studying in the UK.

    • £1,265 per month (for up to 9 months) for courses in London

    • £1,015 per month (for up to 9 months) for courses outside London

    You must possess enough proficiency with the English language to be able to meet the minimum English language requirements.

    You may also be asked to provide further documentation such as: 

    • A valid ATAS certificate if your course requires it

    • Proof of parental or another legal guardian consent if you’re under 18

    • Proof of your relationship to your parent or guardian if you’re under 18

    • Your tuberculosis test results

    • Written consent for your application from your financial sponsor if you’ve received sponsorship for your course fees and living costs in the last 12 months


    Sponsorship for a Student Visa

    Applications for student visas require sponsorship from an educational institution that’s willing to offer you a place to study. You can find a list of student visa registered sponsors here. The sorts of institutions included on the list are varied but include universities, colleges, and some independent schools.

    • Text Hover
    • Text Hover

    should you apply for a Student Visa?

    When applying for a student visa, the timing of your application is key. Applications can be made 6 months before you are set to start your course. This means you need to have been accepted onto a course in advance of your application being made so you should look to contact sponsors well in advance before starting your application process.

    Once your application has been submitted you will then usually have a three-week wait before you hear back whether your application has been successful. Once the application has been accepted and the Visa has been issued you can begin to plan your journey to the UK. However, when you can enter the UK is determined by factors such as the length of your course.

    • Up to a 6-month course: Arrive up to 1 week before the course starts

    • 6 Month or above course: Arrive up to 1 month before the course starts


    working in partnership with

    • Text Hover

    to extend your Student Visa or switch it to a different type?

    If you’re already in the UK and are looking to extend your student visa then the earliest you can apply is 3 months before your course starts, but the application must be made before your current visa expires, and  your new course needs to begin within 28 days of your existing visa expiring. You will normally receive a response within 8 weeks of your application.

    If you’re looking to apply for settlement after your course has been completed, then you should be aware that you are not able to start this application whilst your Student Visa is in effect. There are other routes available to you through such as switching your student visa to another visa category that allows you to apply for settlement.

    In 2019 the UK government also launched a two-year post-study work visa for international students. Once students complete their course of study, they can work at any skill level or in any subject in the UK for the two-year period the visa is applicable for. 

    At the end of this two-year period, you will be able to switch over to a skilled work Visa (if you have a job that meets the route’s skill requirements). This will then allow you an additional 5 years and 14 days in the UK. Once you’ve been in the UK for the majority of 5 consecutive years, you’re able to apply for settled status.


    your Visa been refused? 

    If you’ve been unfortunate enough to have your Student Visa application refused, you’ll need to move quickly to ensure that you’re able to get in a second application. In these circumstances, it is best to work with specialists who will be able to assist you in ensuring the aspects of your visa that did not meet the acceptance criteria are addressed. Contact us today and let us help you fix your Visa application.

    The most common reasons for refusal include: 

    • Not showing the necessary money for 28 days

    • Finances are presented in the incorrect format

    • Text Hover

    to bring your family with you?

    In order to bring a family or dependents with you, there are several criteria that must be met. First is that you must be on a course that meets one of the following criteria:

    • a full-time student on a postgraduate level course (RQF level 7 or above) that lasts 9 months or longer

    • a new government-sponsored student on a course that lasts longer than 6 months

    • a Doctorate Extension Scheme student

    If your course meets any of these descriptions, you can travel to the UK with:

    • Your Husband/ Wife/civil partner

    • Your unmarried partner

    • Your child under the age of 18

    You will also need to provide a marriage or civil partnership certificate for your partner and a birth certificate for your child.

    Both your children and your partner will be required to prove that finds are available to support them whilst they are in the UK. The amount of funds needed is based on where your course is.

    Funds needed:

    • £845 a month (for up to 9 months) for courses in London

    • £680 a month (for up to 9 months) for courses outside London


    work with a solicitor on your visa application?

    Students looking to enter the UK to study often face several issues whilst applying for their visa. Identifying the right sponsor and course as well as arranging applications for family members and dependents can be an overwhelming experience because of the complexity of the process. This is even more true when you’re having to work to meet deadlines so you can get to the UK in time for your course to start.

    Thankfully our team of expert immigration solicitors is here to ensure that you don’t have to approach this daunting task alone. We offer specialist assistance and support for Student and Child Visas applications that draw upon our industry-leading expertise and experience to help you overcome any difficulties in the application process.

    • Text Hover
    • Text Hover

    As experts in immigration law, we have a strong track record in achieving successful applications for Student Visa applicants. Our solicitors have helped hundreds of students apply for the application process so we’re able to guide you through the process one step at a time and ensure that everything is done correctly with no delays at all in your student visa application.

    We also offer a highly personal service that’s tailored to meet your requirements. We start every case with a consultation so can get to know you, your case, and your requirements. This allows us to work out what areas you may need extra assistance in and allows us to offer help when it’s needed.

    As we’re based in London we’re in a strong position to help clients across the whole world, so you can rest easy knowing that whenever you’re coming from, whatever course you’re looking to complete we’ll be able to provide you an expert level of care and support like no other solicitor can.


    talk about your student visa 

    If you’d like to talk to us about applying for a Student Visa so you can come over to the UK to study, please get in contact with us today. Our immigration services are unsurpassed and handled in a professional and efficient manner, which means you maximise your chances of a successful application.

    • Text Hover

    Subscribe to Our Newsletter


    Top Solicitors in the Heart of London

    Call Now Button
    Translate »